Employment & Training
As generations of Americans have witnessed, veterans can be counted on to get the job done. However, many veterans return home with physical or emotional injuries, or limited job skills, that restrict their ability to find and hold jobs. According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, the unemployment rate for recently discharged veterans is nearly three times the national rate.
Veterans Inc.’s nationally recognized Employment & Training Program helps homeless veterans obtain and retain jobs so they can stabilize their lives, obtain permanent housing, and become self-sufficient. Non-homeless veterans are also eligible for the program.
Veterans Inc.’s holistic approach to ending homelessness among veterans takes into account that success in the workplace often hinges on employees’ ability to successfully manage other areas of their lives. Clients are counseled in Life Skills, Money Management, Stress Management and related areas. Veterans Inc. coordinates transportation to and from work, further eliminating potential obstacles to job success. In addition, affordable child care and preschool are now available at the Little Patriots Early Learning Center in Worcester.
Approximately 70% of Veterans Inc. clients in the Employment & Training Program, who are able to work, obtain jobs.
The Employment & Training program provides:
Assessments: A Veterans Inc. Employment Specialist conducts a career assessment and, with the veteran, creates a plan addressing employment goals, barriers to employment, prior work history, existing skills, and training needs.
- Basic Computer Literacy
- Computer Technology, Repair and Support courses, licensed by the Mass. Department of Education, for jobs in Computer Support, Applications, Network and Computer Systems, Database Administrators, and Office/Administration Support.
- Our Training Academy trains veterans for A+ and Microsoft certifications. The A+ Certification class entails 20 hours of intensive training a week for eight weeks. It prepares veterans for careers in Information Technology (IT) and computer technology. The Microsoft Windows XP 2003 Certification program entails up to 40 hours of training, preparing veterans to become desktop, systems and network administrators. Microsoft Office Specialist Certification is also offered.
- Culinary Arts - ServSafe class
- Healthcare – EMT basic training, medical assistant, medical support specialists
- Construction – an eight-week course designed to prepare veterans for the state exam required to obtain a Construction Supervisor License; training also available for laborers and machine operators
- Green Jobs – jobs in green buildings, jobs in energy efficiency, and the public transit sector; training including Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) certification and drinking water systems operators
- Inventory Control Specialist
- Website Design Basics
The Veterans Inc. Mobile Education Center (MEC) is a handicapped-accessible classroom on wheels, fully equipped with 12 workstations and a satellite to access the internet in real time. It represents a unique alternative to the traditional classroom, reaches veterans who cannot travel to a training site, and maximizes training outreach potential in rural areas.
Job Search Support: To support veterans applying for jobs, workshops and individual assistance are provided in résumé writing, job application procedures, and interviewing skills. A Dress for Success program is offered where veterans are able to obtain appropriate attire for interviews and work.
Job Placement: Veterans Inc. places veterans in jobs by connecting with its network of business partners and veterans’ employment organizations, and continually reaching out to find employers who will hire homeless or at-risk veterans. To discuss hiring a veteran, contact the Employment & Training Manager at (800) 482-2565, ext. 125.
Follow Up: Once the veteran starts a new job, regular contact between the veteran and the Employment Specialist occurs for nine months to facilitate job retention.
Click here for more statistics related to Employment & Training.
To begin your search for jobs – visit MilitaryVetJobs.com!
- FREE for all veteran job seekers to sign up
- Search thousands of jobs nationwide
- Veteran owned and operated